Credits

  • Amanda Hamlin
  • Princess Biznotch
  • Priaine G Letrime
  • RAZ-PRO

Tuesday, January 8, 2013

To Whom It May... - Self Esteem



To Whom It May Concern,
The lack of self-esteem and tremendous amount of negativity affecting young girls’ lives has long been a salient and troubling issue for me. In my adolescence, I combated my own powerful insecurities with care; and throughout my whole life, aiding my two younger sisters in building self-esteem similarly has been priority. Over the years, I have mastered several self-esteem building techniques, prescribed new thinking patterns and encouraged righteous behavior. I am passionately devoted to spreading positive messages among the youth and introducing ways of validating and affirming one’s self-worth. Amidst degrading social norms, unrealistic media standards, and undependable familial-roles, acts which demonstrate self-love are dubious, especially for young girls who haven’t yet distinguished their selves properly. That is why I wish to be a public promoter of self-esteem and emotional security-control in your campaign. Reaching out to a generation so harshly targeted, revealing unconditional self-love and beauty in every child – that is my dream, and I will be smiling the whole way.
The need to make a difference became particularly pertinent and personal in 2009 when my 15 year-old sister took her own life. A desperate struggle, she sought love in herself and acceptance among her peers, but she couldn’t see past her physical self, twisting her own reflection. I became close to several of her friends, and immediately knew it was true – depression and self-hate ran higher than I could’ve imagined. The sick mental games, the talking down on themselves and each other, and the competition for popularity – the pressure to conform and fit-in was literally self-destructive. After they had shopped and primped to look exactly like one another, the next contest was to see who could exhibit the most pain felt by it all. In disgusted disbelief, as the “cool older sister”, I outwardly expressed my deep concern for the social group’s perverted dynamics, provided guidance and hope, and encouraged them all to get help. Understanding the severity of the issue, but uncertain of the scope of it, I have determined that the greatest chance of improving the quality of girls’ self-images must begin young and should include more than “love your body” messages - “love your self” ones, too.
Having recently graduated from Ohio State with a degree in communications, the professional message I’d like to communicate is the same one in which you address. If you need someone with passion, someone with drive, commitment and skills – then I am your woman. I am a strategic writer, a tactical communicator, and a sensitive soul of ideas, positivity, and hope. I love talking to people of all types: spreading love, raising awareness, and teaching young minds new ways to define beauty. My number one rule is to always speak the truth. My second rule is to ask meaningful and purpose-driven questions. Beauty shall be found in each and every message that follows those rules; thus, I believe that beauty can be experienced intangibly – in knowledge, in accomplishment, in thought.
If you’d allow me, I will be a great asset to your campaign, project and business. Together, we can wipe the dust from the mirrors of those who cannot see clearly and reveal bright, happy, and beautiful futures for each and every One.

Sincerely,
Amanda Hamlin